Château Beau-Séjour Bécot | Julien Barthe
Situated on the St. Martin de Mazerat plateau, immediately to the west of the old town, Beau-Séjour Bécot lies in the very heart of the Saint Emilion appellation area. Since Gallo-Roman times, the sire has been devoted to wine growing. The monks of Saint Martin de Mazerat in the Middle Ages, followed by the Gères, lords of Camarsac fostered this know-how in their turn. In 1722 one of their decedents, Jeanne de Géres, brought the Domaine de Peycoucou into the estate of the Carles de Gigeac family on her marriage. In 1787 General Jacques de Carles, who wished to leave to posterity the memory of the pleasure he has enjoyed living there, renamed Beau-Séjour.
In 1979, the Bécot family further enlarged the estate with the purchase of 4.5 hectares (11 acres) on the Trois Moulins plateau. The estate, which then became known as Château Beau-Séjour Bécot, is today a substantial 16.6 hectare (41 acre) holding a perfectly uniform terroir.