Château Gruaud-Larose | 2010, 2007, 2004, 2000
Château Gruaud-Larose is named after the two people who were responsible for creating the estate. In 1725, an abbot, Father Gruaud, bought 50 hectares of land and planted vines there. His nephew, Chevalier de Larose, inherited the property in 1781 and the vineyard grew to 80 hectares under his ownership. Seeing as he had no heirs, Gruaud-Larose was jointly purchased by two families at auction in 1812. However, their relations soured and the vineyard was divided into two parts in 1865. In 1934, the Cordier family reunited the estate.
It has belonged to the Merlaut family since 1997. They have introduced sustainable development and organic farming methods in the vineyard. The terroir consists of rises of deep Garonne gravel from the Quaternary Period (about 700,000 years ago) where Cabernet Sauvignon is king – as befits a wine whose motto is “The King of Wines and the Wine of Kings”. Château Gruaud-Larose is one of the most historic estates in the Médoc. Its size has hardly changed through the centuries and it now deserves its second growth status in the 1855 classification more than ever.